Information | Contact
Like other European central banks, Narodowy Bank Polski cooperates with central banks of developing countries. One of the forms of this cooperation is technical cooperation. NBP carries out technical cooperation in accordance with the relevant resolution of the NBP Management Board as well as bilateral agreements and memoranda of understanding or agreements on NBP participation in international aid activities organized or financed by central banks and other institutions. The primary goal of NBP technical cooperation is to support partner institutions in achieving the highest possible standards in central banking through the use of specialist knowledge provided by NBP, which is enriched with Polish experience related to, among others, the establishment and operation of an independent central bank.
The NBP Technical Cooperation Programme enjoys a lot of interest among partner institutions and it is highly valued for, inter alia, Poland’s experience gathered from the economic transition period and the reforms preceding Poland’s accession to the European Union and also due to high evaluation by other institutions of NBP’s activities in many areas of central banking.
The cooperation offer is developed on the basis of an analysis of the training needs of the programme partners, and includes seminars, workshops, study visits, internships and experts’ missions to other central banks.
Since 2020, NBP has been offering also online forms of cooperation.
Topics and forms of Technical Cooperation
NBP carries out technical cooperation in the following forms:
- seminars (2-3 days) for up to 25 experts from central banks of developing countries;
- workshops (2-3 days) for up to 15 experts from central banks of developing countries;
- study visits (2-5 days) for relatively small groups of experts from one central bank or several central banks;
- internships (2-8 weeks) for 1-2 experts from a selected central bank;
- webinars for experts from central banks of developing countries (Webex platform);
- online study visits (2-5 days) for relatively small groups of experts from one central bank or several central banks (Webex platform);
- NBP’s experts’ missions to other central banks;
- telephone and e-mail consultations;
- participation in international twinning projects.
The Technical Cooperation Activities of NBP cover, inter alia, such topics as:
- monetary policy and its instruments;
- balance of payments statistics, monetary statistics, statistical reporting;
- economic education;
- European integration and cooperation with international financial institutions;
- IT systems, telecommunications security;
- internal audit;
- organization of contracts under the public procurement procedure;
- information and promotional activities of NBP;
- HR policy, employee evaluation and training system;
- physical security and transport of cash;
- payment system;
- central bank accounting and others.
Priority partners of the Programme
The technical cooperation activities of NBP will be addressed first of all to central banks and partner institutions from:
- Eastern Partnership countries, mainly Ukraine;
- members of the constituency in the IMF and World Bank group;
- candidate countries for the EU accession.
ESCB Best Practices
Narodowy Bank Polski follows the ESCB best practices which were prepared by the Task Force on Central Bank Cooperation under the auspices of the ESCB’s International Relations Committee.
Technical Cooperation Division
Narodowy Bank Polski
Świętokrzyska street 11/21
00-919 Warsaw, Poland